Sifting through the fruit bar madness!
Posted by rhondascooking on January 19, 2011
As I was browsing through the grocery store over lunch, I arrived at the granola and healthy food bar aisle and immediately felt a sense of overwhelming confusion! There were so many of those little 2oz bars that it took me about 30 minutes to figure out which bar was truly healthy, made with whole grains and fruits without unnecessary additives! I quickly saw that not all bars are created equal! There had to be over 30 different brands from The Cliff Bar to the LaraBar and prices ranging from $1.49 up to $1.89. Because there was a sale going on for gluten-free products (25% off), I spent the time sifting through all of the varieties and brands. I can only imagine what this experience is like for people who aren’t as patient as I am or what this experience is like for new healthy eaters.
So in an effort to assist you, just in case you wanted to know the best, gluten-free, vegan, healthy fruit/snack bars to try, check out my list below. Because there are so many, I may have missed a few, so feel free to add to my list. The product must meet the following criteria to make my list: Gluten-free, vegan, 100% whole grains, whole fruit with no preservatives.
- Pure bar (5 varieties, all organic, main ingredients made with nuts, dates, agave nectar, rice protein)
- Clif bar (6 varieties, main ingredients made with nuts, dates, agave nectar)
- Bora Bora Organic Wellness Bar (7 varieties, all organic, main ingredients nuts, raisins, brown rice syrup)
- Larabar (24 varieties, main ingredients made with nuts, dates)
- Boomi Bar (10+ varieties, all organic, main ingredients made with nuts, dates, honey, whole grains)
- Prana Bar (10+ varieties, all organic, main ingredients made with nuts, dates, honey, whole grains)